Saturday 15 September 2018

Social Justice Statement - Why I can't sign it, and you shouldn't Part 8, the primacy of the what now?

Ok, this one baffles me. I'll freely admit, I have no idea what was in their heads.

The Church

WE AFFIRM that the primary role of the church is to worship God through the preaching of his word, teaching sound doctrine, observing baptism and the Lord’s Supper, refuting those who contradict, equipping the saints, and evangelizing the lost. We affirm that when the primacy of the gospel is maintained that this often has a positive effect on the culture in which various societal ills are mollified. We affirm that, under the lordship of Christ, we are to obey the governing authorities established by God and pray for civil leaders.
WE DENY that political or social activism should be viewed as integral components of the gospel or primary to the mission of the church. Though believers can and should utilize all lawful means that God has providentially established to have some effect on the laws of a society, we deny that these activities are either evidence of saving faith or constitute a central part of the church’s mission given to her by Jesus Christ, her head. We deny that laws or regulations possess any inherent power to change sinful hearts.


So, for a start, all those things about the church are good, but there seems to be something missing. It takes us to the last sentence to mention Jesus. Yes, here I am going to absolutely and unashamedly Jesus juke you, because the center of the church is Jesus. The problem with the "we affirm" is we have just made the good news primary and Jesus secondary.

"Wait! That's not what they meant! You're being uncharitable!" Maybe, but it is what they said. They have unintentionally exposed themselves - the doctrine of the good news matters more to them than Christ himself, in the context of social justice. See, here's the question. If Jesus came down tomorrow morning and opposed you to your face on the issue of social justice, would you listen, or would you argue back "but the gospel is primary!"

Sure the idea of the Gospel -  the very concept of good news must necessarily include Christ, but the Gospel is not Christ and Christ is not the Gospel, just as the word is not Christ, and Christ is not the word. These things may be found in Christ, yes, but Christ, not the gospel is primary.

Why does this statement give me the feeling we have reduced the gospel to a series of ticks on a list? Is that just me?

Never mind all I've said in this post so far, you may disagree that that is what they meant. At the very least I think they should clarify themselves.

Let's look at the bigger problem. There is something missing - this is not a church. This is a set of programmes. A church is a group of believers acting together in love. A church is not a set of programs or marks(yeah, I went there) to check on of on a list. So, while a lot of this is true, the things missing are Christ himself and the FELLOWSHIP of believers. I wish I could make that word flash. It is out of our love that all these other good things flow, not out of our programmes. Programmes are fine, they're just empty without love and Christ.

Ok. onto denial, the river in Egypt. The first one is problematic. But I will let Christ refute it himself:
"Then the king will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’"
(Mathew 25:34-36)

If your church does nothing for the poor, naked, hungry or hurting, leave now. That's integral to the vision. Sure the salvation of the lost is most important in light of eternity, but James John and Jesus tell us that's not all there is. And these acts have eternal significance. Remember the ones escaping as from the fire? I'm quite sure some don't make it.

As always, be charitable in the comments even if you think I'm not. Also don't @ me.




No comments:

Post a Comment